FAAW- FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK
Food Allergy Awareness Week (FAAW) provides a unique opportunity to help raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. Each of us works in our own way to raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. When we all work together and focus our efforts over the course of one week, it amplifies our message and reaches many more people than any one of us could do alone. Thanks to your energy and dedication, this event continues to grow each year, increasing the reach of our public awareness and education efforts. There are many ways you can get involved. One way that you can get involved is by getting a Mayoral/Governor proclamation for FAAW. This toolkit will provide you with all the resources you may need to have your Mayor/Governor proclaim May 14-20, 2017, as Food Allergy Awareness Week in your city and/or state.
What is a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation?
Proclamations are typically issued by a Mayor to recognize the importance of a community event, achievements by community members, or to signal a City’s role in significant events. Proclamations may be read at a City Council meeting, or at a community event, depending on the schedule of the Mayor. Proclamations are often posted on the City’s website. Original signed proclamations will be provided to the requesting party (sometimes must be received in person at City offices).
Why request a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation in your City/State?
Proclamations are the official recognition that the Mayor’s/Governor’s office cares about residents with food allergies. It shows support to all the residents that this is an issue that matters and that the Mayor/Governor recognizes the serious nature of the condition. A proclamation can lead to attention in the press and may influence consideration when it comes to policy making with regards to food allergy. It also provides a way to:
- Opportunity to meet/greet/photo with your Mayor/Governor and/or other City representation.
- Become a FAAW Ambassador to your City and help establish Food Allergy Awareness Week as a locally and nationally recognized event.
- Help your City increase awareness regarding food allergy, supporting the food allergy community.
- Get your City/State government more involved in local causes.
What Food Allergy Awareness Week will offer your City/State:
- The chance for citizens to become more aware and get involved in state, community, and local causes.
- Build and strengthen partnerships across sectors
The Centerview Connection
We are challenging our CV friends to see how many cities we can get involved in the KC Metro area. This is a great opportunity to do some simple, yet high impact, advocating on behalf of the FA families in your city. Simply contact your mayor's office to request a proclamation. Take a photo of your child either with the mayor or even at home if you receive it by mail. We would love to have a gallery of FA kids showing off their accomplishments! This will not only raise awareness in our community, but also help your son or daughter become a stronger and more confident self advocate. We've made it easy for you, just use the tool kit below!
IN THIS TOOLKIT, YOU WILL FIND:
Steps to Request a Mayoral Proclamation for Food Allergy Awareness Week
1. On your city’s official website, you may find directions on how to request a proclamation. Some may even have a direct link, web address or steps to follow for their process. If this is not available, send an email to your Mayor’s office. Contact information for your Mayor should be listed on the site. We have provided a sample email in this tool kit for you.
2. Request proclamation in advance in order to be completed and received by a specific date -FAAW.
3. Many times, offices may request a sample draft of the proclamation. We have a sample in the tool kit as well!
4. You also might consider requesting a photo opportunity when the Mayor actually signs the proclamation or presenting the document to the public or directly to you as the representative requesting the proclamation. It would be great to invite other FAAW supporters in your community to take part.
5. If your Mayor grants your request, share your story with your local media. It is a wonderful opportunity to spread awareness even further. Create a press release to send to your media outlets in television, press and radio. We have created a template for your press release as part of this kit.
6. Let us know about your success! Share your achievement with Centerview so we can help you spread the word about your achievement and your City’s involvement! -
Sample Outreach Email
Dear Mayor __________,
This year, May 14-20, 2017, the FAAW (Food Allergy Awareness Week) Campaign is part of a local and national call to action that will spread awareness and understanding regarding Food Allergies. Food allergy is an immune system response to a food the body mistakenly believes is harmful. This sometimes results in anaphylaxis, a serious allergic reaction that comes on quickly and has the potential to become life-threatening. When a person with food allergy eats the food, his or her immune system releases massive amounts of chemicals, including histamine, that trigger a cascade of symptoms that can affect the respiratory system, the gastrointestinal tract, the skin, and/or the cardiovascular system. There are 15 million Americans, including 6 million children, affected by food allergies.
U.S. Mayors, Governors, City Councils and other elected officials around the country have supported food allergy awareness in their area. In past years, even the White House also publically supported Food Allergy Awareness Week. As a Food Allergy Awareness Week supporter from the City of _____________, we would like to respectfully request that the City of ___________ officially proclaim May 14-20, 2017 as Food Allergy Awareness Week. Your support in endorsing FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK will increase community awareness about food allergies. In doing so, you will help educate schools, restaurants and the residence of our city on the seriousness of this potentially life-threatening medical condition.
Centerview Food Allergy Management is a local supporter of Food Allergy Awareness Week campaign providing resources and support, providing the citizens of _____________ with educational materials and links to opportunities to spread awareness. For additional information, please visit our website www.centerviewfoodallergymanagement.com
It would truly be an honor to have the City of __________ formally proclaim Food Allergy Awareness Week in support of the food allergic families within our community. Thank you for considering our request.
- See more at: http://www.foodallergyawareness.org/education/food_allergy_awarenes
Sample Food Allergy Awareness Week Proclamation
SAMPLE PRESS RELEASE
[CITY NAME] Proclaims May 14-20, 2017 Food Allergy Awareness Week
[LOCATION] [DATELINE] – [CITY NAME] has proclaimed May 14-20, 2017 as Food Allergy Awareness Week. Centerview Food Allergy Management, Inc of Kansas City would like to invite the community to participate. Food Allergy Awareness Week is an event created to transform how people think about food allergy across the nation. This week-long learning event provides a platform for schools, physicians and families to share information about food allergy raising awareness about this potentially life threatening medical condition that affects 15 million Americans, including 6 million children. Researchers are unsure of why, but food allergies are on the increase. There is no FDA approved treatment and the only proven option is total avoidance of the allergen.
[INSERT WHY/HOW YOUR CHILD IS INVOLVED FAAW AND DETAILS OF LOCAL EVENTS- IE MY DAUGHTER MARY HAS CREATED THIS DISPLAY FOR HER SCHOOL, OR OUR SCHOOL NURSE HAS CREATED A FUN BULLETIN BOARD SO THAT THE KIDS CAN LEARN FA FACTS, ETC. PERSONALIZE THE STORY TO RELATE TO AN AUDIENCE.]
Food Allergy Awareness Week provides a unique opportunity to help raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. Those who are interested in joining Centerview’s efforts supporting those in KC with food allergies can visit www.centerviewfoodallergymanagement.com.
See more at: http://www.foodallergyawareness.org/education/food_allergy_awareness_week-10/food_allergy_awareness_week_proclamation_kit-36/#sthash.BEhSiVJn.dpuf